Thursday, November 4, 2010

Catfish

What: CATFISH, the movie.
Where: Empire Granville 7 Cinemas

A friend's parents invited me to go see this movie one rainy Monday night, sans friend. Third-wheeling aside, parent dates are the best! Cinephiles D. and E. bought my ticket and thoughtfully listened to my expert opinion after the movie (that's what it must feel like to be interviewed by James Lipton). To make an unnecessarily long story short, the movie is about a charming guy who forges a Facebook friendship with a talented little girl (painter), then proceeds to friend the rest of her family and develop a long-distance crush on her nineteen-year-old half-sister (also talented, dancer and musician). He lives in NYC, they live in Michigan, so a visit with unexpected twists is par for the course.  

THE GOOD: An unexpected leading lady and several cringe-worthy-yet-wonderful characters' reactions that are usually only derived from documentaries of sorts and well, Meryl Streep. It's a formidable effort on the part of the two filmmakers and leading man (three dudes in their twenties) and the subject matter could not be more of the now (see also: The Social Network).

THE BAD: Some of the plot was predictable (granted, I am Negative Nancy and I watch too many movies) so D., E., and I all agreed on the length of this reality thriller - too long and drawn-out, could have been edited a bit more to bring down the aforementioned predictability. Also, not to beat another negative horse, but the cinema verite style of shaky camerawork took some getting used to: about 25 initial minutes of veritable vertigo. Am I the only Debbie Downer with dizzy spells?

THE BOTTOM LINE: Go see it. You'll like it. I did.


3 comments:

metaghost said...

Is there some gag explaining why the poster was designed as though the movie is a low-budget horror flick?

From Suns To Moons said...

It was more of a thriller and they tried to build a lot of anticipation with a teaser trailer and that poster, probably.

metaghost said...

I guess it's not like movie posters really exist anywhere in the wild, but bad design hits me where it hurts.

And now I want some Swedish fish.