Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Let's Jump Right In

Cardigan and button-down, J.Crew. Skirt, Banana Republic. Scarf, Brooks Brothers. Belt, vintage+mom's. Flats, Geox.
 
 Common mistake #1: IT'S vs. ITS

I see this everywhere. A coat's description will include "it's polyester lining." Now, before you recoil at the thought of polyester, recoil at it's first. IT'S is always a contraction of IT IS and although that sneaky apostrophe conjures up the idea of possession (see: John's hooker, Jane's dough), do not fall for it. "Its polyester lining" may not necessarily make me buy the coat, but at least I will know that the owners of that business care enough about their image to have hired a proofreader. 

I realize that some of you may be rolling your eyes right now and I know all about DUH! I also know that even though we may be aware of the rules, we still make mistakes or often forget which is which. Ergo, I propose that you think about it this way. You know ITS, as a word, exists. And you know that the plural of IT is not ITS (that would be madness!). So that can only mean one thing: ITS is a possessive adjective, alongside my, your, his/her, our, and their.

I'm glad I got that off my chest, readers. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a cashmere sweater to  hand-wash. In other words, it's time for its bath.  


 Making myself look taller and checking out my boobs. Multitasking=tempting.

14 comments:

Love at First Shoe said...

Looking good in yellow! Love that skirt :)

Alessandra said...

Its vs It's is one of my pet peeves so thanks for fighting this battle.

Excuse me, but those your nail polish match your skirt? *It's* Brilliant!

Monique said...

I really like this combo! The scarf adds the perfect pop of color!

Jen HaHA said...

I echo Alessandra! Unfortunately, my fruit phone is out of its mind because it always tries to replace "its" with "it's". Just tried it two times in that sentence. Speaking of, period before ending quotes always? I go back-and-forth on this one. I even Googled it and I guess it differs in Britain versus US. How about in Canada? Do you follow the British rules in this respect? I like the period after in that sentence so that's how it is (not it's because that would be weird).
Come enter my TinyGoatStudios giveaway!

Jen HaHA said...

Oh yeah, I meant to comment on your outfit. Great skirt! So cheery! I like how it's from Banana Republic. I'm such a dork!

From Suns To Moons said...

Jen: Canada does follow British rules, for the most part, but I went to college in Vermont and got yelled at to always leave the period/comma inside the quotation marks. A girl doesn't forget that kind of thing. Plus, The Elements of Style is my bible, so... yeah. American rules prevail.

In Kinsey's Closet said...

Your skirt is adorable! I love your use of color every time!

Jess said...

Grammar hammer for the win! I love how that skirt has pockets. I've been looking out for a yellow skirt for spring and I believe the bar has been raised!

Agata said...

I love your skirt:)

Anonymous said...

Love this outfit and maybe you should consider doing a scarf tying tutorial! hmmmm??

heidi said...

love that yellow skirt and your grammar rules! keep them coming! one comment the interns in my office recently had was whether there should be one space after a period or two! i have my own opinion, but what is your take?

From Suns To Moons said...

Heidi,
That is an interesting question and I admit that I haven't given it much thought before. For the most part, I support the one space rule. The only exceptions would be when using a typewriter (because of the font, the double space makes it easier to see where a new sentence begins) or when required by a given format (if your prof wants you to use two spaces in your term paper, it would be foolish to peeve him/her with one).
That's the short of it and I hope you found it helpful. If your opinion differs, we may have to have a duel. En garde!

Blythe and Charlotte said...

That skirt is really such a perfect color! And I love how you paired the red, yellow, and white. It's such a perfect color scheme! Thanks for your comment, by the way! It was so kind!

-Charlotte

My legal name is Krystal said...

great skirt! I just bought a similar one from the loft :)
btw I have gotten comparisons to Molly Ringwald before!! Very interesting...

www.triplegeministyle.blogspot.com