Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Anchors Aweigh!

Blouse and cardigan, J.Crew. Skirt, Banana Republic. Belt (worn backwards), H&M. Scarf, Macy's. Wellies, Hunter.


When editing the photos for this post, I renamed the chosen ones Navy Pink 1, Navy Pink 2, and so on. Naturally, I thought: why isn't there a color called NAVY PINK? And while we're at it, let's throw in Nautical Neons, Marine Maroon, Maritime Mauve, Seafaring Sapphire, Shipping Chartreuse, Oceanic Orange, Boating Blue, Lighthouse Lilac, Pelagic Purple, Yachting Yellow, Water-borne White! The possibilities. I've gone overboard here but only out of excitement. I purchase a product not only because of its quality, but also because of the marketing that went into it. J.Crew especially knows how to pull those heartstrings with all kinds of nautically-inspired apparel (there's even an anchor strategically placed before their URL). I am one of those poor saps that buys dreams - an idea, a memory, a lifestyle - something to keep the blues at bay. I guess what I'm trying to ask you is: a) are you a sap as well? ; b) did you know that my birthday is coming up?



These photos were taken by yours truly in British Columbia, throughout the seasons, at various times of the day. Just a little something to tide you over until Christmas.

10 comments:

Jen HaHA said...

Love that pink ruffle top! Oh, and the skirt. And, the cardi. You just look great all-around!

kimmie said...

Breathtaking photos!

And I just LOVE your outfit. I'm totally a sucker for good marketing as well. This is why I have forced myself to not subscribe to every magazine or catalog possible.

ShoesAndPursesBox said...

You've got some alluring alliterations there missy!. And some fancy photography too...

Sands said...

Haha, love the title! And I love the mix of navy and pink! So unexpected yet so chic. ;)

xo
Sands

Unknown said...

Anchors Aweigh was a good title, you look really chic in your blue Outfit and Hunter Wellies.

Allen

Anonymous said...

Hey BFF,

Great title for a wonderful outfit. I love navy blue and pink together. I really like how you kept it preppy with the Wellies on.

ps. I'm jealous of your pictures, only thing I have here is cold weather and spots of snow! :(

Tiffany said...

this is one of my favorite posts from any blogger, ever. First off, your writing is so clever- I fully appreciate all the water imagery with the overall theme of this post (at bay, overboard, etc). Also, have you considered a career naming colors for crayola or nail polish or paint? You should. My favorites are Marine Maroon and Seafaring Sapphire, because this girl loves some good ol' alliteration. And the landscape (seascape?)photos are lovely, especially the first one. I thought at first that they were images collected from various web sites. Nice!!
Perfect styling of the backwards belt! I love little details like that. And by gosh I adore the galoshes...

. said...

YES, I am absolutely a sucker for marketing and it is so great to see somebody else admit it, too. I would say that's the first step in overcoming it but personally I have no desire to stop buying into ad campaigns :)

Also: you better copyright Navy Pink stat. It's a crayola waiting to happen!

Jo said...

Hey, I just read the comment you left on my blog RE: online shopping. Apparently UPS has a feature now where you can sign up for no-signature deliveries. In those instances, they will leave a sticky note on your door (or in your mail slot) and it tells you to pick it up at your nearest UPS outlet. This service is free, and it would be one way to get around having your stuff delivered to work (which I agree; I would *never* do that!). Glad my blog could be a place you could vent ;)

20 YORK STREET said...

We are skirt sisters! I have the same skirt from BR but it's too cold here now to be wearing it. =(

Love Vancouver!