Sunday, December 26, 2010

La Brasserie

After a strenuous style challenge, my cardigans and I have unanimously decided to take a little break (especially the red cardigan, who has been working overtime this season). In the meantime, how about a restaurant review?

Anyone who knows me - not in the biblical sense, but outside the blogosphere - is aware of the debilitating condition that prevents me from enjoying French cuisine day in and day out. Yes, lactose intolerance is no joke, my friends, which is why I save visits to La Brasserie for special occasions. A quaint bistro with a self-explanatory name and seating for 35 connoisseurs, this Franco-German locale is still a bit of a hidden gem in Vancouver's West End. The entrĂ©es usually range from $17 to $23 of generous, palate-pleasing portions (I had a succulent stuffed quail which hit the proverbial spot). The service is prompt and friendly, which isn't surprising if you actually chat up the foodies disguised as servers. And the best part is, after 9 pm they practice something called Buck A Shuck: one-dollar oysters (normally $3 each), an unbelievable deal in Vancouver. I like to hit their oyster bar when I`m feeling peckish and very, very thirsty (I`ve never met a Kir Royale I didn`t love).

If you`re in the area and looking for a great little place to dine, skip the chain restaurants with their overpriced bland fare and check out La Brasserie instead! (Honestly, they`re not paying me to write this, but if they were, I`d accept quail dollars only).

Stuffed Quail with Vegetables.


... and if you're not adventurous enough to try quail (or my next pick, Rotisserie Rabbit), follow my date's lead in ordering this scrumptiously stacked burger:

7 comments:

marionachic said...

fantastic blog:)

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, now I'm very hungry! :)

Keira Lennox said...

My gracious! I don't even know how one would tackle a burger of that size! The quail looks delicious, though.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Oh yum, that looks so good!

Jen HaHA said...

Thanks for sharing! We were in Vancouver in the spring and I'm bummed that we didn't try any fabulous restaurants and I know there are a lot there. We were trying to vacation on the cheap and we short-changed ourselves. I will keep this in mind for our next trip whenever that is.

What are your thoughts on Poutine? I love it because I love potatoes, I love cheese curds, and I love gravy. Wait, you mentioned lactose intolerance.

Thanks for stopping by!

Sands said...

Aw, poo. I am lactose intolerant too, and I know how you feel. It's such a pain in the ass! Ugh. But haha that burger sure is hugeeeeee!

xo
Sealverland

Anonymous said...

I wanted to check this place out the first time you mentioned it but now with the pictures...I'm sold.